Friday, March 12, 2010

STANDING...WITH COURAGE.


Mary is a southern girl.  If you don't believe me, just listen to her North Carolinian accent.  She's also a true, reliable, and dependable friend.  Oh and a beautiful person.  And I'm lucky enough to be able to call her my friend.  We met in New Orleans at a photography conference about a year and a half ago and have been friends ever since.  We met each other in New Orleans this last November and then she just recently came out to Salt Lake City to visit me.  And it was a blast.  Whether we were cooking, 'shooting', talking, or editing.  It didn't really matter.  And I'm so excited for her because she is about to launch her photography website...very soon.  Way exciting, because well, she's so very talented and needs to share her talent with all those around her.

And Mary has a story to tell.  A story of standing tall.  Through pretty much anything that is thrown her way.  You see, Mary was diagnosed with cancer (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) by the age of 27.  We started talking one night and she began telling me in detail her experience through this difficult period in her life.  From the moment that she was diagnosed with this disease.  To radiation to help stop this amazingly fast growing tumor (in her chest), so that it wouldn't stop her ability to simply just breathe.  To a bone marrow biopsy.  To surgery.  Then countless treatments of chemo which resulted in the loss of hair.  To checkups, still to the day.  And finally beating this thing (going on almost 10 years now).  Her story is strong and she freely talks with others about her experience.  As she was talking with me, and tears started to build up in both of our eyes, I had to stop her for a moment and ask 'How did you do it?  How did you stay so strong?'  Her reply was 'I didn't give myself any other option but than to live.'  To live.  And that is exactly what she is doing.  Living.  When she was first diagnosed, she turned to her husband and said, the 'other option' is not even an option.  Just by that sentence alone, she showed courage, strength, and determination.  Now I know that certain cancers are certain cancers.  They are all different with each person.  And she has had plenty of ups and downs thru this trial in her life, but she chose to look at this straight on and deal with it.  When even all of her hair was gone, she bought a wig, but opted not to wear it.  Not even once.  Instead she embraced her beauty and smiled as kids stared with intrigue.  But the one thing she doesn't really see, is how strong she really is.  The strength that SHE had to fight for life.  Which amazed me.  I wanted to record our conversation and play it back for her so that she could hear her own story and know how much of a beautiful person she really is.

Meet Mary...






Mary.  Thank you.  You're beautiful.

4 comments:

The Amayesings said...

Mary kicks some major butt. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Curry said...

Amy - thank you so much for sharing my story. You really left me speachless. That doesn't happen often! LOL. I am so blessed to have you as a close friend and look forward to the next time we can get together. North Carolina...here you come! Miss those late nights already...really upset I don't have those s'mores. :O) Talk to ya soon!

Michelle said...

The first thing I noticed about Mary when I met her was her beautiful smile! I had no idea Mary had faced down a dragon and triumphed! She is full of JOY and you would never know what she has been through. What a beautiful story...I only hope that I would have half the courage Mary has shown if I am ever faced such a terrifying journey. Thank you for sharing Mary's story.

Michelle

p.s. I can't wait to see Mary's website.

Kristine said...

Such an empowering story. I didn't know Mary was such a warrior. She should totally tell her story more often. She has MAJOR bragging rights.