Tuesday, May 12, 2009

dragonflies


Today, my mom and I waited for my dad to get home from work.  He walked thru the door, kissed his wife on the forehead, and asked how she was doing.  My mom proceeded to tell him about her 'Oprah' experience today.  As he took a seat in his chair, she spoke of a Dr. Oz who has been a part of the Oprah show for the last 5 years.  Well, this was his farewell show.  He has become so successful and popular that he is off to do his own series.  As tears started to form in her eyes, the room kind of fell silent.  She told us of Dr. Oz's efforts to help the people of New Orleans post Katrina.  I mean 'post' Katrina.  He was there in the New Orleans International Airport, which at the time, was acting as a trauma unit in a hospital.  He told of his experience.  Well, that he in all his 20 years of experience, has never seen anything like it.  People everywhere.  Ambulance lines stretching 2 miles long.  And doctors seeing 800 patients an hour.  Patients who were too ill to be helped anymore were put in a separate room so that they may live there final moments in peace.  They called it the morgue.  

He then went over to the convention center and saw even more things that he just couldn't believe.  It was there, where he had met someone that had impacted his life and has kept a place in his heart even after all these years.  It happened to be a 3 week old baby.  Not in good condition.  He checked the baby and immediately realized that he needed nourishment and needed it quick.  All he had was some gatorade (I believe).  So that's what he fed him.  As today's show touched on Dr. Oz's work and shared his Katrina experience once again, he mentioned that he still thinks about that little baby and has been searching for him ever since.  Just to see him.  Just to make sure he was alright.  Even after all this time.  Well, Oprah had a surprise for him....one of her producers found the baby, who is now, a few years older.  And as my mom was telling us this story, I couldn't help but notice how this Dr. and the reunion of these two individuals touched her.

But not only was she touched by these actions, it happened to bring up some of the still so very real emotions for both my parents from that time some years ago.  My mom and dad started remembering some of the events and people that they had witnessed.  My dad bringing up the fact that some of their neighbors in the area have yet to come home.  That is, if they are still with us on this earth.  That part...the part not knowing about friends and family members, was and still is in some cases, the hardest part.  Not having any "normal" anymore.  No familiarity.  As life does go on, there are those of us who will always have those memories.  And seeing little acts of kindness, like this Dr. Oz,  sets an example and just reminds us of all those who helped and are still helping in all different ways.

I had to post a picture, well because I think that every post needs one!  :)  I took this photo today of this dragonfly because it reminded me of when I was here in NOLA a month after Katrina.  There were no birds or anything like this in site.  It was kind of an empty, strange feeling.  It's funny how sometimes the little things like this simple dragonfly go unnoticed throughout our busy lives.

6 comments:

jeff said...

Very nice.

The Amayesings said...

What a great observation. Love the photo!

Momma_S said...

I am so glad you are there with your Mom & Dad.I'm sure they both are thrilled to have your company.You're right about post Katrina. It was eerie.All we could hear were the helicopters overhead. I think for those that love NOLA the entire experience can't truly be described. I never watch Oprah. I wish I'd have seen that one.

Rebel said...

Beautiful... not only do you know your way around a camera, but also words. Thanks for sharing. :)

Cindy Ardis said...

Thanks for the tribute. It so good to go back and visit now and see the improvements and the way people have put their lives back together, they are very brave, and there are alot of people that worked really hard and volunteered countless hours of their time. What a great country, no matter where you live, we are looking out for each other. I think each of us had a part in helping mom and dad put their home back together, and it so beautiful today. I don't know if others had that kind of family support or not, we were lucky.

Anonymous said...

It was a great experience sharing it with Amee. It is hard to explain our feelings about the STORM with our kids, but they are gradualy getting the full picture and we are so greatful for there support so many times in our lives.
MOM