Wednesday, May 27, 2009

egrets, raccoons, and swans....oh my!


My dad and I have decided to stop talking about going on morning walks and decided to actually start doing them!  Well, in his defense, we put it off due to a couple of broken toes my dad suffered while playing in the gulf waters off of the beach of Gulf Shores, Alabama a couple weeks ago.  So I cut him some slack!  ;)  
So to start off Memorial Day we headed over to Lafreniere Park in the early morning.  There is a nice paved 2 mile path that goes around the whole park.  When we hit the 1/2 mile marker, we both looked at each other and thought really....only 1/2 mile!  Did I mention that it was a 2 mile long path!  All I could think about was my dad's poor toes.  What a trooper!  
Now I know I grew up around here, but I honestly don't remember most of this park.  It was actually quite beautiful.  It had just finished raining, the sun was rising and there was such a sense of peacefulness as we walked by water, and many different types of animals such as squirrels, ducks, geese, and lots more.  You name it, it was there.  The egrets were absolutely gorgeous sitting by and in the water and cyprus trees.  
We definitely felt triumphant when we finished our 2 miles in record time!  Well, it was our first walk, so we can call it our record time!  Right?!  ;)

I had to....just had to go back and take some pictures of some of the "wildlife" we witnessed there.  The egrets were not that easy to find by the time we made it back, but here are a few of the fun things we saw.

Gorgeous views...


Swans...

Turtles...

Roosters...yes, roosters!  There were a few of these guys roaming around, and they didn't stop cock-a-do-a-doodling all day!

This little guy startled me when he came down from a tree I was standing next to. 

He was a little bashful at first, but he walked right up to me!  I got a little nervous though so I moved on to the next site!  ;)

Nutria!  They ARE for real!  If you don't believe me, here is a momma nutria.  There were some cute little babies she was tending to just behind her.

Here is one egret I managed to get in the distance...

I just like this scene!

Well, we gave my dad's toes a couple days off, but we're gonna be back at it bright and early tomorrow morning!  We're gonna see if we can break our current record!  ;)

5 comments:

April Hardy said...

Amee your pictures are absolutely beautiful! They look like postcards or calendar pictures...you definitely have a talent. I don't think I have ever appreciated New Orleans beauty so much, as I do now that I have seen those pictures.

Cindy Ardis said...

The pictures are beautiful. I can't believe you saw a racoon, in a park, that is so cool. I can't wait to come visit next month. I'll have to visit the park, I think I forgot how nice it is too.

Anonymous said...

You got any gators in that pond?

Christy said...

I remember that park. Your pictures remind me that I need to get my hubby down there. He's never been to NOLA, and there's some scenery he definitely needs to see.

The Amayesings said...

Gorgeous, and WATCH OUT for racoons!!! They are mean little suckers. Glad you had fun.