Saturday, August 22, 2009

BASEBALL - WRIGLEY FIELD STYLE


Chicago has become one of my most favorite cities to visit.  I love everything about it.

I've been wanting to blog about Chicago for a while now, but I will just start with my Wrigley Field experience.  While I was a kid growing up in New Orleans, my family would occasionally go to a Braves game in Atlanta.  Yep, back in the Dale Murphy days.  I have an autograph baseball and everything.  ;)  I've also been to an Anaheim Angels game in southern California and a Padres game in San Diego.  BUT nothing beats the experience of sitting in the famous Wrigley Field in Chicago.  Nothing.  This field was built in 1914, which makes it the 2nd oldest MLB park.  Players like Babe Ruth, Pete Rose, and Ernie Banks have all played in this field.  The original scoreboard still remains intact since when it was constructed in 1937.

Jeff and I decided to ride the "L" (Red Line) straight to Wrigley Field.  The "L" or "EL" is the "elevated" train in Chicago.  If I remember right, it's the 3rd largest or busiest transit system, just behind New York and Washington DC.  And it's the 2nd oldest system just behind New York.  It dates back to 1892.  (New York dates back to the 1880's.)  We've been wanting to ride the L just about every time we go, so we decided to take it down to the Field.  It was perfect.
Here we are...
I know I said "elevated" and we are below ground.  We actually boarded the L down here and the train does travel mostly above ground.



Yes, I know, I know.  I'm sportin' a Cubs hat.  I had to represent.


Some Cubbie fans on board with us.

Just getting off the L.  Nice stop.  Can't get any closer than that.

I had to get a self portrait while walking towards the field.  ;)


Love this shot.  It was sitting in these seats when it hit me.  It was kind of weird.  I was just soaking in the atmosphere around me.  And all of a sudden I was like THIS is Wrigley Field.  I'm sitting in Wrigley Field.  It was such a cool and unforgettable feeling.  It's hard to explain.  But if you've ever been there, you might know what I'm talking about.


Prepping the field.

I got up from my seat and walked a few steps down to the field to get some shots and after only a few SECONDS I was asked to go back to my seat.  Seriously.  The game hasn't even started yet.  So Jeff and I decided to go grab a hot dog.  Hot dogs and baseball games just go together.  Like peanut butter and jelly.  Oreos and milk.  But eating a hot dog at Wrigley Field was awesome!  It made my experience there complete.  ;)  Even though I get my hot dogs with ketchup on it which is a Chicago local NO-NO.  I get weird looks all the time there when I order one.  Oh, well.  There's always that one person that has to break the rules.  I was happy to oblige.

Check out these seats on the rooftops of these buildings across the street from the field.


I walked up to get this shot.  It was freezing up here with the wind and all.








The scoreboard...


This kid next to us had made a sign for the game.  But they have pretty strict rules here.  People had signs, but they wouldn't let anybody hold them up.  So I asked the little guy if I could see it and take a pic of it.  He was happy to show it off.

Sometime during the game, all of sudden the crowd started cheering.  Loud.  Jeff and I looked at each other and then we realized, it was because the sun was making an appearance.  Adding some warmth to the day.  Finally.  I'll cheer to that.

Michael J. Fox was there to sing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the 7th inning stretch.  He's up in that box.

I just had to get a shot of this guy.  He sat right behind us and he kept commenting on my camera.  He quickly became one of my biggest fans!  He thought I worked for SI (Sports Illustrated)!  I just let him think whatever he wanted to think.  ;)  
We were getting ready to leave and he made a comment to me about Hey, see ya on the cover of SI!!  So he wanted me to take his picture.  And I did.  I guess he thought he could make it on the cover.  Hope he's not too disappointed.  


Yep, the Cubs lost...

A quick note to my family:
Even though I've been to a Chicago Cubs game, a Chicago Bears game, and a couple of Notre Dame games in South Bend, I'm still a true southern girl.  
I still love the New Orleans Saints.  I still love the LSU Tigers.
I know where my roots are.  I haven't forgotten.  ;)
(So NO intervention is needed.)
-A-

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Amee! I'm in no way, shape or form a sports-of-any-kind fan, having grown up in a family of girls, but your blog makes me wish I were. Your love of baseball, football, and basketball are contagious. Your love of your nephews who are now playing sports is a family legacy which comes through in every single photo that you take, and it draws people to you and your photography. I love your photos and the stories that accompany them. Great job! Michelle

Kristine said...

Thanks for the disclaimer. I was becoming worried. Lol.

Momma_S said...

I find it FLIPPIN' HYlarious that you had to even give a disclaimer. My prediction is had you not done so you would have been disowned. At least by your brothers and the other men folk. Have you ever seen men so serious about their teams???
I have a brother in law that's a cubbie fan. He's as die hard as the Sorensen men about the Saints.

Kerrie said...

I love the picture of the seats. That's awesome!

Christy said...

Awesome! I am DYING to go to Wrigley Field. NOt because I'm a huge Cubs fan, but because its Wrigley Field. I love baseball. Did you know Mark and I want to live in Chicago? Mark's constantly looking for work there.

amee sorensen said...

Christy, I would LOVE to live in Chicago! I absolutely love it there! It's seriously my favorite place to go! And the Wrigley Field experience was amazing! Hope you get to go sometime. And if you end up living there, you can expect to see me once or twice a year! ;)

amee sorensen said...

And as for the disclaimer...I had to!! When ever I talk to someone about some of the games I go to, I get a LOOK, yep THAT look, or even a comment, like 'Now Amee, you're not a trader are you!?' ;) I even get it from Andy too! ;)
I wore my cubs hat at home this last visit and my dad was like 'the cubs', you better not let your brothers see that! I started laughing and said I thought I was kind of safe with the cubs - being baseball - since we really don't have a team down here! He somewhat agreed! ;)