Monday, August 10, 2009

the cajun who sacked peyton manning


If you've been to New Orleans and haven't taken a ride thru the swamps...airboat style, then you missed out!  I highly suggest taking one of these rides to experience a different side of these beautiful swamps.  My dad and I were planning on going and I called my sister to see if she would like to join in on the fun and then she called her son....and we soon had a party brewing up!  Holla!  When we got to Airboat Adventures in Lafitte, we noticed larger airboats and then the more intimate, smaller boats.  Kay Marie, my sister, and I were soooo hoping for one of the smaller boats.  We lucked out.  That's exactly what we got.  I guess a party of 4 is the lucky number.  We also scored with our tour guide, Louis (Lew-is), who is one pretty cool cajun!  He absolutely loves his job, loves Lafitte, and loves the swamps and everything that has to do with them!

Here we are waiting for our tour to start...

I stole my sister's water spray-bottle...  ;)  It was gettin' hot!

That day on the swamps, a certain celebrity was riding around with us.  He just so happened to be filming a movie in the area and I guess these airboats helped with it.  These boats can make some pretty forceful wind action!!  While we were cruising around...HIM, yes HIM, Silvester Stalone, passed right by us on his airboat.  Very cool.

Meet Louis.  AKA...Captain Lou.

And we're off!

While on the tour, we learned about how hurricanes over time have, in a way, changed some of the scenery in these swamps.  There are now more different kinds of flowers and such that have been transplanted from say neighborhoods to the swamps from the high winds of these powerful storms.

I think my dad had some fun!  What do you think?!

(Priceless...)

Here's our first local...

Yep, alligators loooovvve MARSHmellows!  Get it?  MARSH...aka...swamp...MELLOW!
Yeah, it's a little joke out here!  Don't blame me, I didn't make it up.  But it is true, they do love the tasty little treats.



He was a friendly little guy...or I guess he was just being nice so Lou would give him more marhmellows.  Yep, he knows how to work it!  Put on a show for a gator treat!

Fellow airboat riders.  See how big there boat is!  Ours only fits about 5.  It was pretty cool because we got to go in some of the 'tighter' areas of the swamp.

Another local!  He's a big one!


I like this photo that Kay Marie took...


Here's Lou telling us some stories of the history 0f Spanish Moss.  This was the spot where we also learned a little more about our captain.  He got on the subject of how his high school there in Lafitte changed their mascot to the 'alligators'.  And I happened to mention that was pretty cool because my mascot at Grace King High School was 'the fighting irish'....nothing really to do with New Orleans.  That brought back some memories for him.  Not all good.  ;)  He brought up the fact that we, my high school, beat them in football all the time.  Except for ONE time.  I was like really.  Grace King.  I was thinking how does he remember that?!  It was like ages ago!  Then it clicked.  I asked him if he had played football.  He said yes.  Then the fun stories came!  He played against Peyton Manning in high school.  For those of you who don't know, Peyton and his brothers grew up in Louisiana.  So Lou proceeded to tell us that while playing against him, he SACKED the now Superbowl Ring wearing superstar, Peyton Manning!  Not just once.  Many times!!  I think Lou was his worst nightmare.  ;)
Well, high school was over and Lou went off to college.  He came home for a visit and happened to be in the French Quarter and guess who he runs in to?!  Yep, Peyton!  He walks up to the tall quarterback.  Looks UP to him and says Hey Peyton, you remember me?!!  #45 !!  Peyton's reply was That was YOU!!  I think they shared a few laughs after that.  (I can't remember his number, so I made that one up...sorry Lou.)
How COOL is that!  I love that story!  And I love this shot of Lou.

After that entertaining story, Lou offered to be my assistant for a sec and take our pic.  He took my camera and said I know how to use a camera!  Just push the button!  And something along the lines of Yeah, I have a degree in how to operate a camera! I'm an expert! 
Ummm...Lou...no you didn't...just say that!  
I guess I forgive you since you played football with Peyton.  (Did I mention that I love football!)


One of my favorite images from the day...





Our tour was over and I just had to ask.  Lou, I gotta get a picture with the 'guy who sacked Peyton Manning!'  He said of course.  Of course.

Thanks Captain Lou!!  We had a blast!

7 comments:

Kerrie said...

That's a pretty cool story. When we went to the urgent care place out here when we were all sick, the office manager found out where we were from and came to tell us that he went to high school with Sean Payton! Crazy!

Anonymous said...

I was once on an airboat.

Kristine said...

That's funny that Grace King always beat his team. Grace King was the team that everyone wanted to play for their homecoming game so they were guaranteed to win.

And by the way, I will forgive you for not inviting me on that trip. But only because I had a two week old newborn, but next time. . .

Heather said...

Love the pictures! Bryan & I took Bryce on a trip their when he was 18 mo.'s old. If memory serves me I think Jeanette, Kay Marie & Grandpa went with us. It was alot of fun & we got to pet a baby alligator. I have this great picture of Bryce touching it. You can tell he isn't really sure, alittle cautious. Good memories!

Momma_S said...

Amee,

I LOVE the pic of your Dad in the hat!! You're right it is priceless! Gorgeous is the only word that can describe all the pics of home. I'm dying for a po-boy!I love football too!! Must run in the fam!

The Amayesings said...

1st, I love "Anonymous's" comment. Thanks for sharing.

2nd, I also love that pic of your dad.

3rd, way cool story about Lou!

4th, I need to go to Nola someday!!!

new orleans tours said...

I always wish to go such kind of places where I feel like there is no one who could disturb you. I love to visit and adventure.
swamp tours in new orleans