Tuesday, August 18, 2009

BIG BAD VOODOO DADDY


Every once in a while a band comes along that just simply makes you appreciate music THAT much more. Well, Big Bad VooDoo Daddy (aka. BBVD) was that band for me last night. What an inspiration! I've been to a few concerts at this relatively small outdoor theater, Scera Theatre, and this is seriously one of the only times I have not seen a lot of people leave early. Everyone was glued to their seats. Except, of course, those dancing their socks off! Oh yes, and that amazing standing ovation they received. If you ever get a chance to see them live, do it! I highly recommend it. This band of 9, has been together for 16 years. And when I say they've been together for 16 years, I mean this is the original 9. They just came out with their 8th album, which is their tribute album to Cab Calloway. Not only are these guys very well dressed, but they also happen to be a multi-platinum selling band. They even sang a song that was influenced by NOLA. So yes, that makes me like them even more. ;)
Now I know a lot of you watch Dancing With the Stars. These guys performed on one of the episodes. If you'd like to watch the video footage of them performing on the show, click here.
AND we got to meet the band and take our picture with them before the concert! It was like the cherry on top of one of the best sundaes. Ever.


This guy, Scottie, the lead singer and song-writer (and guitar player) LOVES what he does. Can you tell?! Actually they all love what they do and it definitely shows on stage.







(Jen, this one's for you...)

(And this one...)

Love this shot.

.Guitar.

.Piano.

.Bass.

.Horns. (There's actually 5 in the band.)


.Drums.

Simply. These guys know how to entertain!

One of my favs.



*For all you photography friends...all these photos were taken with an ISO of 6400! Love Canon. And the new 5D. Amazing.
(FYI. I added a little grain to a few photos in post processing for the effect.)

6 comments:

Michelle said...

*WOW* These photos are great and you answered my question right at the very end. I just don't think that I can live another day without a 5d! ~LOL~ I mean compare the pics I posted (on FB) at the Cate Street Pub to your band pics and, well, there is no comparison. This band sounds like a lot of fun and I will be on the look out for their music!!

Keep up the great work!

Michelle

Momma_S said...

Piano shot is my fav.I could see Burke's reflection there one day. Reminds me of a Harry Connick, Jr. concert. He really puts on a show and has a big band too!!

Kristine said...

I love their suits. Looks like a fun concert.

April Hardy said...

They should hire you and have you go on the road with them as their photographer. Seriously. You should apply, even if the position is not available. Do it! Great photos! I love the suits, thats not typical concert attire. I dig it.

amee sorensen said...

Cheree. Burke is an awesome piano player. I was impressed by his skills the last time I was there and he jumped on the piano and started playing. That would be so cool. And yes the concert definitely reminded me of Harry Connick, Jr.
Michelle. Your 50d is a great camera with great resolution. I made sure my shutter speed wasn't below 125. And I held a steady hand. ;) Anything below 100 makes it kind of hard to keep somewhat crisp images.

Michelle said...

With hands THAT STEADY you should be a surgeon!!