Friday, July 31, 2009

birthdays and f-stops


As another year passes by and my birthday approaches, I can't help but think of the future.  The past few years, I've wanted nothing to do with my birthdays.  I dwell on the past and what I have or have not accomplished.  This year, I'm trying hard to focus on the future and make goals to make my business venture a success!  I actually can't wait to see where this year takes me.  I can't wait to see what I am going to accomplish this year.  I can't wait to see what goals I reach.
Is there any other way to look at it?  Seriously.

Tomorrow is what you make of it...

So we'll see...

On another note, a great big THANK YOU goes out to my friend Michelle from NOLA for sending me an early birthday present!  I absolutely love it and it put a great big smile on my face when I got it!  
It's a t-shirt with a photographer's sense of humor...  ;)


Love it!

**Update** 
f/stop is not MY humor...  
A local photography store in New Orleans made these.  Their employees wear them.  I meant photographer's sense of humor, because only a photographer would probably think this shirt is funny...
(And by a few comments, you have made that assumption correct!)  ;)
Anyway, a photographer usually sets their settings such as shutter speeds and f/stops to get the correct amount of light when shooting.  The shutter speed regulates how long the film/sensor is exposed to light coming through the lens.  And the f/stop regulates how much light is allowed through the lens.  (Adjusting this changes the size of the hole the light comes through the lens.)  It also regulates how much 'bokeh' you have in a photo....blurriness if you will, behind the subject in focus.  So, all those numbers on the shirt are f/stops!
I always shoot manual.  So adjusting these two elements are important in nailing your exposure...therefore getting the 'perfect' light.

And after all that, I'm sure it's still not all that humorous to you.  Like I said...a 'photographer's term'... ;)

(Sorry...I tried to make that explanation short, but I might have gotten a little carried away!)

8 comments:

Christy said...

I don't get it. Explain.

Heather said...

Happy Birthday Amee! I hope your have an awesome Birthday & an awesome & very successful year!

April Hardy said...

You should explain your photography sense of humor!

Kristine said...

I get it. I feel special. But I took a photography class in college with a 35 mm SLR. It was cool though because we got to develop our photos.

amee sorensen said...

Thanks Noelle!!

And that WOULD be cool to develop your own photos!

Michelle said...

Hi Amee!

I always enjoy reading your blogs and seeing your pics-this one will def be in my *favs*, and I must say your friend Michelle has a really good sense of humor! ;>)

As I read your blog and I began to think about what you said about not really liking your birthdays in the past, but how you want to change that attitude this year, and I came upon an analogy- "just as we fine tune our cameras to allow more or less light into our lens, so it is with life!"

As a photographer you are constantly adjusting your lens and f-stops to create the perfect image, and as humans, we must keep adjusting our hearts, and minds to allow the correct amount of light in to our souls.

We are able to create perfect, peaceful moments that will stay with us through out our lives, and that will buoy us up in tough times, and brighten us up in dark times, if we will let HIS light, the light of the Savior in.

As the shirt says "The f-stops here" or in other words "I control the amount of light that gets in", so open up the lens wide and let his light shine on you!!

Happy Birthday!

Michelle

Cindy Ardis said...

Happy Birthday Amee. Hope all your dreams come true for the future.

The Amayesings said...

I'm glad you explained so we could all enjoy the humor of the gift. Glad you had a good one.