Saturday, July 18, 2009

cities of the dead


I promised a follow up post to one of my posts about NOLA.  I wrote about 'another side of Nola' and its cemeteries.
I mentioned how the cemeteries in New Orleans are beautiful and are actually referred to as 'cities of the dead' since the people there must be buried 'above' ground.  If you would like to read more, you can check out my POST HERE.
I just wanted to share some photos of one of the largest cemeteries in the city.  They definitely show how they are in fact 'cities' with roads and even street signs.  This one is especially special since my sister's 2 month old baby is buried there.  I know this is horrible to admit, but I have never been there to see her.  (I was about 4 years old then.)  My dad and I went and we were there for a couple of hours and couldn't find the spot, until my sister called as we were driving out of the cemetery.  She gave me a couple of street signs and a couple of 'landmarks' to look for.  We were determined.  So we turned around and found exactly where my little niece lies.  We were so happy to find her.....and relieved.
(If anybody is reading this, and does not live in the area....if you are visiting one of the cemeteries, do not go alone!  And it's not just because they can be a little creepy.)



















3 comments:

Tanya said...

Wow! I have never been in one! I've driven by lots, but they really look bigger when you are in them! One of these times Chris will have to take me in one! Great pics!

Michelle said...

Great job Amee! I took some pics there too last fall, but never got around to posting them. I agree with your advice as well- Do not go alone.

I want to do a TTD shoot there, wouldn't that be the coolest thing?
Michelle

Kerrie said...

OMGosh! Carrie's grave site needs a major makeover again! (from the few weeds I saw in the corner of the picture)