Monday, July 13, 2009

kettle falls, washington


Kettle Falls, Washington is a small, small town, and absolutely beautiful!  Jeff and I go just about every year when his dad heads up the annual Governor's Cup Walleye Tournament.  I know, I know, believe it or not, it's a pretty big deal.  About 100 boats enter and they come from all over to fish and hope to win big.  My dad has tried to go with us the last few years, but this was the first year that he was able to go and see this beautiful part of the country and fish for walleye for the first time.  

This is where we stayed, at Jeff's parents.  Sorry I didn't get a better picture of it, but it's nestled on this mountainside (just to left in this picture).  And talk about some awesome views.


Another view from their deck...that's their driveway in the bottom right corner.  The river is the Columbia River and the lake that is formed along this river is Lake Roosevelt (where the boats dock). 

The first day, we woke up and met our new friend Mike to go fishing.  Kettle Falls is about 40 miles south of the Canadian Border and I believe that this day, we got within a few miles of the border.  It was all so beautiful!

Jeff took this picture of me.  Thanks...I think!  ;)

Dad catching a fish...Jeff has yet to catch one.  Mike and my Dad were catching so many, that Jeff and I would just look at each other like what are we doing WRONG!!  My Dad caught so many at this one place that Mike started calling it Reid's fishing hole!  No joke.  My Dad caught a fish and as soon as he unhooked the little guy, baited his hook, put it back in the water, he caught another one!  Just as fast as it took for you read that sentence!!  Geaux DAD!

Here he is with another one!

We were out there for about 7 hours.  And Jeff finally caught ONE right before we called it the day!  He was proud.  I was secretly wishing he wouldn't catch one, so that I wouldn't be the only one not to catch a fish!  ;)

But no worries, cause while the boys were catching all the fish, I was catching this...

and this...

and this...

Yes, I was satisfied with my catch of the day!

Here are all 18 fish they we caught...yep, 18...it was a team effort!  ;)  I think it was a pretty good day out on the river!

The boys cleaning their catch!  I didn't have to clean.  There's one benefit of not catching any!  ;)


The next few days, we watched and helped with the fishing tournament.  Here are a few shots...
Boats lined up.  Getting ready.


My dad and I got to sit out in the official boat that lets the fisherman know that it's ok for them to take off and find their secret fishing spot.  They had to go in order of their number they received for the tournament.  
(Jeff took these next 2 pictures.  And I know all of you are jealous, cause you can't wear a backwards cap like I can!  Ok.  Cut me some slack.  We had to get up at the crack of dawn.  Ok, not that early, since the crack of dawn there is somewhere around 4 am.  But it WAS early!)


They patiently wait for their turn in line. 


I love these guys!  I almost fell out of the boat laughing!  It was EARLY in the morning, and a little chilly outside.  They definitely dressed for it!

One of the 'big fish' of the day.

Lined up waiting to come in and have their fish weighed.  
After the 'weighing in', the fish are returned to the water.



The leader board.  Tells us who's ahead of who in different categories.


Just some more beautiful views of Jeff's parent's property and surrounding areas.
Their view from the deck.

And this one too.

Their neighbors.


(Wild turkeys...in case you couldn't tell.)

One of Jeff's mom's bird feeders.  I was happy to see them all out, cause I guess the bears keep attacking them.   Yes, I said bears.  For a while there, she got tired of putting them out due to being destroyed shortly after, but I was glad to see them.  I love watching these fast little birds.



Bears!  Yay!  I say that because this is the first time I was able to see one...well, we actually saw 3!  We went 'bear hunting' a couple of times.  One evening we went, we saw 2 of them, and then the next day we saw another one.  So cool.  From a distance of course!



 (A grouse...just in case you didn't know what it was...I didn't!  ;)  It's of the turkey family.)





We had so much fun and I'm glad my Dad was able to finally go out there with us.  

Thanks Dad...for everything!  ;)

7 comments:

April Hardy said...

That is beautiful! I am glad your dad got to go too. It was probably so theraputic for him! My mom just went to N.O. and she said that grandpa looked great and he said it was because of the fishing trip!

Tanya said...

I love your catch of the day the best! That is so freakin awesome! Love it! Love them all, as usual!

Cindy Ardis said...

Dad did look great, when I saw him 4th of July weekend. He talked and talked about that trip. He had so much fun. I loved the pictures, I bet you thought you were dreaming when you saw that eagle and then got to watch him take off. Who gets to experience that? Does National Geographic know about you!
I would like a copy of the pictures so I can make a scrapbook for dad of his fishing trip. If that's okay with you.

Heather said...

AWESOME pictures Amee! You always seem to capture amazing scenes & moments! Your dad looked sooo happy out their fishing. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. I'm like Cindy, you need to send them to National Geographic.

Michelle said...

Amee your photographs are just beautiful, and especially the EAGLE ones!! My jaw just dropped!! I am SOOOOO jealous that I was not there, but I prob would have knocked you out of the boat just so I could be the only one to shoot him! Just Kidding!! I enjoyed reading about your trip and I'm glad that Reid finally got to go. I love your photos as always...
Mic

amee sorensen said...

MIchelle...I saw him first!! ;)

Thanks everybody! I love hearing your feedback! I've always wanted to capture an Eagle on camera. And to do so with a moment like that was just awesome! We think he was showing off a little bit...he flew and flew above and around us for a good minute or two after he took off...but hey I didn't mind...he can show off all he wants.
I love seeing the look of his eyes...it just says something about his demeanor. Just priceless.
Thanks again.
And I was soooo happy that my dad was there with us! We had a lot of fun fishing, watching the boats take off every morning and just sitting out on the deck watching the sunset. ;)

Ally Romig said...

Hey I loved your pictures and I hope to see some of the tournament in 2011 june 25-26 in kettle falls. I hope its not too much to ask but can you get some pictures of the kids helping at the weigh in and at the raffle, I would really appreciate it.
Thank You!
Ally Romig