Sunday, July 26, 2009

insta-gator



Michelle and I, along with her sister and 2 nieces, went to an alligator farm in Louisiana.  It was one of the hottest days but worth a little sweat to learn more about these very interesting and powerful swimmers.  And not only are they good swimmers with very powerful tails, these guys can run.  Fast.  You can NOT out-run an alligator.

This is our alligator expert...

I wouldn't try this at home...  ;)


Here are the farms...where the alligators live and mature until they are ready to go out and live in the wild on there own.



True or false:  You can change the sex of an alligator just by changing the temperature of the egg.

TRUE:  Before the alligator is hatched, just keep the egg a few degrees cooler to change the sex to female.  Yep...just a few degrees!


I wouldn't try this at home either...


This group is the oldest...almost ready to go to the swamps!


(Notice the 'apple' logo on the fish tank in the bottom right corner of the above photo.)  ;)

True or False:  Can you put an alligator to sleep?
TRUE:  Just by flipping the alligator upside down...something in the brain tells it to sleep...in a matter of seconds!  (Just flip the gator back upright and all is fine.)  
Ummm...I also wouldn't try that at home!

Yep...insta-gator!  Meaning...you...yes, you...can hatch a gator!  The month of August I hear is the month these little cuties like to be born.  So go check 'em out!  They will actually let you hold an egg while it hatches!  Very cool!


No...that's not a real alligator!  ;)  I'm not that tough!

The plane they use to find alligator eggs in the swamps!  They drop a flag from the air so that the airboats can find the nest...and hopefully no momma gators...to bring the eggs in.  If they don't manage the eggs, only 1 gator will survive out of about 20 or so.

Me and my friend Michelle...


5 comments:

Kerrie said...

I didn't even know that place existed! I guess that's something we'll have to do with the kids when we come back down!

Michelle said...

Hi Amee!!

You photos are as hot as that day was! SIZZLE!! Every photo looks like it could be framed and hung in a gallery. I learned a lot too!!

Like Kerrie said there are many things to do here, but we as locals often over look the obvious.

There's a new term being coined that refers to people taking vacations where they live in order to save $$$. I think it's called "Localism" (instead of "Tourism", please correct me if I am wrong.

I had fun with you and my sister, and remember the restaurant we went to afterwards and that waiter? LOL That was another experience in itself!!


Mic

p.s. I just posted some new pics on FB (the upload is so much easier for me, so that's where I am mainly posting) of a horse show that my Sister and I went to on Saturday, which was free!!

"iheartfree"

Anonymous said...

I like Gators.

Kristine said...

I've been wanting to go there since I heard about it last year but I was hoping to find someone to go with me ;( oh well. Next time you come down, we should go to Global Wildlife, unless you've already been. They have Giraffes!! How cool is that.

Cindy Ardis said...

That was gator-ific!! We went to some places like that when we lived in Florida when Bryan and Adam were little. It was interesting. Your blog brought back great memories, thanks.