Wednesday, July 22, 2009

gulf shores


While I was in New Orleans, my parents and I decided to go to Gulf Shores, Alabama and play at the beach for a couple of days.  It's absolutely gorgeous there with all the white sand you could ask for along with pelicans flying by and dolphins showing off in the water.  We had a lot of fun playing in the waves...even after my dad broke his toes...it didn't stop him though.  ;)
And we found what I think could be my new favorite restaurant...DeSoto's Seafood Kitchen.  We drove around looking for a good place to eat and stumbled on it...lucky for us!  Check it out if you're in the area.  It was soooo good!  Too bad its far away...I think we could eat there ALL the time! 






These little sand crabs were all over the beach at night.  So we grabbed a flashlight and went out in search of the little guys.  They're certainly fast...but the funny thing is is when you flash the light on them, they would stop in there tracks for a few seconds and then either run off or bury themselves in the sand.

One of the days, we drove over to Pensacola to see my brothers.  It was a quick trip, but while we were there we got to go and see where my sister-in-law is spending her time.  She took us to Uncle Sandy's Macaw Bird Park where she helps take care of certain birds that need some tender loving care.  All these birds were or have been in some form...abused.  What this aviary does is treat them and take care of them.  You can even sponsor a bird if you like or even take a field trip and feed the birds.






My sister-in-law even admitted to us that she didn't even like birds until she started spending her time at this aviary.  One day, she brought this certain bird home and my brother said something along the lines of out of all the birds you could bring home, you brought this one?! 
She fell in love with Oli pictured above here.  (Sorry if I spelled his name wrong.)  He's a case of severe abuse the poor thing.  But he loves his new home.
His feathers will never grow back and the poor bird would sometimes just shiver.  But I know he is well taken care of now by her and my nephews.

We had a great time learning about all those birds and more.  And we had lots of fun visiting my brothers and their families even if was just for a few hours!  ;)

6 comments:

Kristine said...

Gulf shores does have some of the best seafood restaurants ever. I went there a few summers ago, and every night we went to a different restaurant, and the food just kept getting better and better. Their beaches (From Gulf Shores through Panama City Beach)are some of the best and the cleanest in the WORLD.

Kerrie said...

I think I would have adopted that bird too! Poor thing.

Anonymous said...

I like birds.

Cindy Ardis said...

That bird is so cute, who wouldn't love it. Poor thing, lucky he got a good family. I hope to make it to Pensacola sometime, I've been wanting to go for a long time and see their beautiful beaches and see my brothers and family. What did you eat at that restaurant that was good. I love food.

Michelle said...

I really love the sandcrab picture and the Yellow & Blue Parrot picture. I love how all of your pictures have that certain "Amee style" and I instantly know it's your work. The bird sanctuary is certainly a worthy cause, and hopefully I can visit it one day.

I'm not too crazy about birds as a whole, and I've had a few unwelcome gifts from the "blue bird of happiness" but that poor little fellow with hardly any feathers would certainly capture my heart too!

He's lucky to have your sister-in-law to love him and provide a home for him. It reminds me of a line from the movie What Dreams May Come - "Sometimes when you win you lose, and sometimes when you lose you win". I think that poor bird lost and then won!!

cherish.photography said...

what a great place to be!