Tuesday, January 5, 2010

JUST A LITTLE...EARTHQUAKE


It was about 1 a.m. and I had just turned in to go to bed.  About 5 minutes later my bed started to shake and then I heard all my glasses and things downstairs rattle and shake.  It lasted for probably only a matter of seconds.  But felt more like a couple of minutes.  I had felt a little earthquake once before in California a long time ago and can still remember the feeling.  This time it was little stronger.  I ain't gonna lie...I was kind of freaked out.  My neighbors started waking up and making noises...I just couldn't sleep after that.  So I decided to look it up and found the University of Utah's site for tracking earthquakes. (The University of Utah's Seismograph Stations.)  And there it was, listed as the most recent earthquake at a magnitude of 2.9 at 1:08 a.m. right here by Lehi.  It doesn't get any closer than that.  Now I know it was only a 2.9, but after that, I don't ever want to know what a higher magnitude earthquake feels like.
I've decided I'm a hurricane girl and not an earthquake girl.

I took these 'snapshots' off the U of U's site:


That red square right above is 'my' earthquake.  Pretty much right where it says, Lehi.  (Oh, and those brown lines are not roads, but instead fault lines...the roads are the white lines.)

Here's a closer look...

If anybody likes to 'read' about the details of earthquakes, here ya go...

5 comments:

Kerrie said...

Yep, I'd rather have to deal with hurricanes than tornados and earthquakes. You have a warning! Oh and I'm really hating snow right now too! We had two blizzards within a month!

April Hardy said...

Yep- you are right on the fault line. Glad it wasn't any worse for you.

Kristine said...

Scary. I didn't even know that earthquakes were possible in your area. Those boogers are sneaky. I'll take my hurricanes and leave you your earthquakes :)

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I told Joel there was an earthquake close to Cedar City. He was like..."ur not going to feel that...its like 200 miles away" Well some people did! Yeah. I love drama..as long as no one gets hurt. love ya girl.

Michelle said...

Nothing like a 2.9 to make you "live in the moment"... I'm truly grateful you are ok!!!