Friday, October 30, 2009

A PUMPKIN CARVING MASTERPIECE


Pumpkin carving.  A holiday tradition.  For me, it's been a while since I've shared in this fun, yet slimy activity.  I went in to Sweet Home Chicago, the pizza and pasta restaurant at The District, and Jerry, the owner, asked if I would like to join in on The Pumpkin Contest.  Sure I said!  Without hesitation.  Although, I knew that it had been years since I've actually done this.  But I always love a good challenge!  And plus, there was already some smack talking starting around the restaurant.  As most of you know, I'm a pretty competitive person.  So I couldn't pass this up.  Even though there was prize money involved, the bragging rights were sounding pretty good too!

And so the brainstorming began.

A day or two passed by and then this 'brilliant' idea popped in my head....well, I thought it was brilliant anyway.  But I had to figure out how to pull it off.  I envisioned it in my mind and then just grabbed a pencil and started sketching on my ever so fabulous chunky pumpkin....
Beautiful one that is, isn't it?!


So I sketched it all out, then started carving.  
This is what I came up with...


In case you missed it, here's an explanation...  ;)


Perfect.  Isn't it?!  I already love the city of Chicago and the restaurant's name happens to be Sweet Home Chicago.  So what better way than to show off this famous city than with it's famous skyline.  I was pretty proud of myself and my mad artistic skills to pull this off.  And many, many hours.

And for the record, I WON!!  

(Sorry these photos aren't any better.  I was too lazy after all the pumpkin carving to pull out the tripod!)

HAPPY HALLOWEEN everybody!  ;)
Be safe!

6 comments:

Tina said...

WOW!! That looks GREAT!! You are definitely talented!!

amee sorensen said...

Thanks Tina!!

The Amayesings said...

Congrats on your win! :)

Christy said...

That's an amazing pumpkin! Did you win a prize?

Tanya said...

Wow Amee! I didn't think you had it in you. I guess we better add pumpkin carving to your list of mad skills! :) Good job! Why have you never showed us these skills before???

April Hardy said...

So what was the prize?? Free pizza? It looks awesome.